Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Magic

"Magic takes place in a curious world of paradox. When seeing a clever magical trick, the delight is in the fact that we don’t know how it is done, that we can permit ourselves the sneaking suspicion, if only for a moment, that perhaps, at last, here is some real magic, that there are no hidden wires, no rigged props, no stooges in the audience, but what we are witnessing is one hundred percent, real, authentic magic. The pleasure is in the ambivalence. And the idea of real magic hovers just out of reach, claims to its existence almost impossible to counter, because it occupies a twilight realm of anecdote, rumour and endless tales about what a friend of a friend saw" (thinkbuddha.org).

There is a certain aspect of magic related to my work. You can see it in my meditations and in the images themselves. Sometimes when I look at my work I wonder how the image came to be. "Modern Western magicians generally state magic's primary purpose to be personal spiritual growth,[4] many seeing magic ritual purely in psychological terms as a powerful means of autosuggestion and of contacting the unconscious mind" (wikipedia.org). If magic is related to spiritual growth then an element of magic is definitely ingrained within my work. The act of meditating is a magical experience in an of itself. You get to be by yourself within your thoughts for an undisclosed period of time. The feeling is different for everyone but I know that every time I finish meditating I feel different and I see the world in a different light. I'm hoping that my images convey that sense of magic and mysticism.

Thorndike, Lynn (1923-1958) (8 volumes). A History of Magic and Experimental Science. New York: Macmillan. ISBN 0231087942.

No comments:

Post a Comment