Sunday, January 23, 2011

Roni Horn

Horn was born in New York in 1955. She received her B.F.A. from the Rhode Island School of Design and her M.F.A. from Yale University. She works in many mediums including sculpture, photography, and drawings. Her work "embodies the cyclical relationship between humankind and nature—a mirror-like relationship in which we attempt to remake nature in our own image" (art21.org). Drawing is a key aspect of her work because it the act of drawing is all about composing relationships.
"Horn crafts complex relationships between the viewer and her work by installing a single piece on opposing walls, in adjoining rooms, or throughout a series of buildings. She subverts the notion of ‘identical experience’, insisting that one’s sense of self is marked by a place in the here-and-there, and by time in the now-and-then" (art21.org). Horn has received a Guggenheim fellowship and has exhibited work at the Art Institute of Chicago and the Whitney Museum of American Art.

I chose Roni Horn for my blog because we share similar concepts with our work. In a way, the work I'm making feeds into her concepts. In a way I am remaking nature in my own image. I'm shooting the photographs in a documentary style but I'm choosing how to frame images and what to show and what not to show, so in my own way I'm photographing my environments how I want them to be seen or how I think would make them look the most beautiful. I also really enjoyed her methods of presenting work. I like the idea of having a piece in each room or in each building and having a separate experience in each environment. That is the same kind of experience I want to create for my viewers.

"So XII", 1998

"Some Thames", 2000

"Still Water (The River Thames, for Example)- Image J", 1999

"Untitled (Yes), Black", 2000

http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/horn/clip1.html

http://www.hauserwirth.com/

http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/horn/

No comments:

Post a Comment