Thursday, January 27, 2011

Vast

-adjective
1. of very great area or extent; immense
2. of very great size or proportions; huge; enormous

"I admire our ancestors, whoever they were. I think the first self-conscious person must have shaken in his boots. Because as he becomes self-conscious, he's no longer part of nature. He sees himself against nature. He looks at the vastness of the universe and it looks hostile" (John Shelby Spong).

"There is something bigger than fact: the underlying spirit, all it stands for, the mood, the vastness, the wildness" (Emily Carr). 

Burke, Edmund. A Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of Our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful. London: Routledge and Paul, 1958. Print.

The idea of vastness goes with the work I'm creating now because my work has shifted from more abstract views of nature to landscapes. With the landscapes I'm shooting now I'm trying to capture the vastness of the environments I'm in. When I'm surrounded by an epic landscape I end up getting lost in it; I can just stare into the horizon forever, in awe. I'm hoping my images will do that for my viewers; that they can just stare and get lost in the images. I hope that my viewers will feel the same connection to these environments as I do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment