Monday, January 31, 2011

Jody Forster

Jody Forster is a landscape photographer, focusing on the environment out West. He studied photography with Ansel Adams and Oliver Gagliani. He has traveled and photographed on three different continents, including North America, Asia, and Antarctica. In 1992 and 1995 he was selected by the National Science Foundation to participate in the U.S. Antarctic Artist and Writers Program. 
  
"Forster’s imagery captures that atmospheric sense of place that occurs where the sky meets the land. The relationships between light and shadow, land and cloud formations, mountains, rock formations and plant life that recall the grandeur of nineteenth-century American painting" (ethertongallery.com).

"Using an 8 x 10" view camera to bring about meticulous realism, atmospheric effects, and a precise rendering of forms, Forster photographs a luminescence in nature in which he adds aspects of realism, idealism, and technical virtuosity" (andrewsmithgallery.com).

When I first looked at this artist's work I was struck by the simple beauty of his images. I love the fact that Forster still uses an 8"x10" camera and produces his prints in the darkroom. Some of his images are as big as 20"x24". Last semester I had been experimenting with making my own paper and printing on it in the darkroom. I really enjoyed getting back into the darkroom and being able to physically hold my paper and create the print on my own. I plan on working in the darkroom more this semester and hopefully having all of my final prints made in the darkroom, even the color images. I also appreciate his sense of adventure. I would love to go to Antarctica and photograph. His images from his time there are absolutely amazing.

www.antarctic-circle.org/fox.htm

http://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/home.html

(Jody Forster doesn't have his own website but all of his information can found at the site above)

No comments:

Post a Comment