Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Abandoned

"Throughout history, abandoned places have held a fascination for many people. This has often found expression in art: ruined buildings in deserted landscapes are a common subject in paintings..." (Lesley Adkins, Roy Adkins).


"Reality seems valueless by comparison with the dreams of fevered imaginations; reality is therefore abandoned" (Emile Durkheim). 


Adkins, Lesley, and Roy Adkins. Abandoned Places. London: Grange, 1996. Print.


Abandonment was one of the things that was brought up in my mid-term critique and in individual meetings. I've noticed since starting this series just how much my work has changed. A lot of my images, even if they don't include any man-made objects at all, still give off this feeling of abandonment. They appear to be places where people only pass through. I've become more and more interested in these ideas since second semester began. I'm really attracted to places like this. I think it's because when I'm in these environments, I truly feel alone, even when other people are present. It's my hope that my final body of work conveys this feeling of abandonment and feeling alone and being okay in your surroundings.



No comments:

Post a Comment