Monday, April 11, 2011

Luis Beltran

Beltran is based in Valencia, Spain. He works mostly with photo manipulation, digital art, and photo illustration. He considers himself a storyteller, who has dedicated his work to "those who daydream, who believe that without illusion there is no hope." His photos are described as surreal and dreamlike. He likes "to talk about the loneliness and mystery that is intrinsic to all our lives" (Luis Beltran).

Beltran's images "suspend me between what's real and could be, and make me dream of the impossible. The contrast, the textures and perspectives all make the subjects come alive to me" (liberalsprinkles.com)

While this artist primarily works with digital photography, I am still attracted to his style. Some of his images seem a little over manipulated to me but on the whole I like his work. His plain landscapes are beautiful and haunting at the same time. I really enjoyed his quote above. I feel like some of my images, especially of the ghost town, feed right into this idea. That's why I'm so attracted to places like that, because of the loneliness I feel. I enjoy that feeling sometimes. There is beauty in what is abandoned and left behind, almost as if those places take on a life of their own, outside of what we had planned for them. The second quote is also important for me in my work. I feel like adding texture to my images, with the paper I use, will really make my images come to life. I can't wait to see how they come out when I start printing.










No comments:

Post a Comment