Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mystery

"A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other" (Charles Dickens).

"But he became aware also of forces beyond any known senses, profound and mystic forces that whispered to him of the abstract nature of the world" (Guy Murchie).

Murchie, Guy. The Seven Mysteries of Life: an Exploration in Science & Philosophy. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1978. Print.

Since starting this body of work, a few things have been stuck in my mind from the get-go. I have always been fascinated with the loneliness of abandoned places. They hold this nostalgic feeling for me, as if I had once been there. There's a mystery surrounding these places because I know nothing about them. I feel like capturing these places with an image, a tangible photograph that I can later hold in my hand, is a way of capturing it so I will always have a piece of it with me. I want to know why I feel this way about these places. What do they hold in them that I'm trying to capture? And why is it so important? These are some of the questions I ask myself as I'm making this series. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment