Saturday, September 11, 2010

Andy Goldsworthy

Andy Goldsworthy is a sculptor, photographer, and environmentalist. He was born in England, in 1956. He spent the majority of his youth on farms, working as a laborer. He once compared the repetitiveness of farm work to that of sculpture saying, "a lot of my work is like picking potatoes; you have to get into the rhythm of it" (wikipedia.org). He uses natural and found objects to create permanent and temporary sculptures, which draw the character out of their environment. He once said, ""I think it's incredibly brave to be working with flowers and leaves and petals. But I have to: I can't edit the materials I work with. My remit is to work with nature as a whole" (wikipedia.org). In a way, that is what I am trying to do with my work this semester. I want to work with nature and document my experiences in different environments, whether I am meditating or just examining my surroundings. 


"His goal is to understand nature by directly participating in nature as intimately as he can" (morningearth.org). 


Goldsworthy states, "Looking, touching, material, place and form are all inseparable from the resulting work. It is difficult to say where one stops and another begins" (morningearth.org). This is also something I have been contemplating with my work. I see myself as part of nature. That's one of the reasons why I meditate while I am photographing; so I can feel that oneness with my surroundings and really become in tune with the environment. 


http://www.sfmoma.org/- represents some of his work


http://www.artnet.com/artist/7145/andy-goldsworthy.html- Goldsworthy doesn't have his own website but this is his artnet page with a bio and examples of his work. 


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/3663966/Hes-got-the-whole-world-in-his-hands.html












No comments:

Post a Comment