Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Transcend

"In religion, transcendence is a condition or state of being that surpasses physical existence and in one form is also independent of it" (Wikipedia).
Lately, I have been fascinated by the Buddhist religion and the art of meditation. I think what I like about meditation the most is the fact that it's something that you do all by yourself. When you are meditating, it is just you, your thoughts, and sound. I'm interested in these quiet, out of the way places where you are able to be one with nature and be alone. I have always loved being alone, especially in these special places where it's just me and my thoughts. Sometimes when I explore these places I wonder what went on before I got there. I'm intrigued by the fact that I don't know everything, I wish I could but I know it's impossible. I think I would like to explore this more in the course of my project.
"To recognise the limitations of our models of the world leads to a kind of freedom. There is always a further dimension to be explored, another angle to take; and therefore we are never simply stuck with the knowledge that we have, the world that we have constructed" (thinkBuddha.org). Part of this interest in transcendence is also an interest in inner happiness and what is necessary to feel true happiness. "If we understand transcendence in this broad sense, then perhaps it is not only a factor that contributes to happiness, but also a necessary condition of happiness. These are the roots that we need to nurture if we value happiness at all" (thinkBuddha.org).

Gyatso, Geshe K. The New Mediation Handbook. 2009 ed. Glen Spey: Tharpa Publications, NY. Print.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uravenu/4761696471/in/set-72157624297703139/
The above link is a picture from the road trip that I went on this past summer. It was taken by Harrison Moenich. Seeing places like this, I have never felt so happy or alive. That is what I want to search for as I work on my projects this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment