Monday, September 27, 2010

Biophilia

The Biophilia hypothesis suggests that "there is an instinctive bond between human beings and other living systems" (wikipedia.org). This word literally means a love of life or living systems. I think this pretty accurately describes the reasoning for my work. I love nature. I love animals. I love people. I love life. All of these things interest me. And that is why I want to do what I'm doing. I want to capture nature and hopefully get across my feelings through my photographs. American biologist Edward O. Wilson popularized this term in his book Biophilia. He describes it as "the connections that human beings subconsciously seek with the rest of life" (wikipedia.org).

         "And it occurred to me that evening that one of the things about the world is that it is largely        indifferent to the human stories that we weave. We may be, as I have said before on this blog, storytellers by nature; but nature itself is not story-like. And because the stories that we weave can so often be limiting, can so often trap us, or can so often simply go over the same old ground, again and again, this attention to the world can loosen the bonds a little, can give us over to a kind of thinking that can help us find new paths and tracks through the world" (thinkbuddha.org).

I'm not sure if I want to tell a story with my images. Maybe I do. I think right now I have hit a bit of a roadblock. I'm not sure what to do next. All I can do at the moment is keep meditating, be out in nature, and shoot. I found out about this hypothesis on accident. I was researching on thinkbuddha.org and came across the term in a blog entry. It was kind of crazy how much it related to what I'm doing now and what I want to keep doing with my work.

Wilson, Edward O. Biophilia. Cambridge, MA: Harvard UP, 1984. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment