Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Alternative

Alternative is defined by the Merriam Webster dictionary as "of or relating to behavior that is considered unconventional and is often seen as a challenge to traditional norms."


"It is possible that a photograph may not make a concrete statement or answer a specific question. A photograph is not necessarily about something; rather it is something in and of itself. A photograph may be enigmatic or it may allow a viewer access to something remarkable that could not be perceived or understood in another medium" (Photographic Possibilities: The Expressive Use of Ideas, Materials, and Processes 1).

Since the beginning of my project I have considered alternative methods. First I was thinking about how I could display my final work in a different style than I normally do. And then as I continued photographing I realized I could develop my images in new ways as well. At first I was thinking about making my own photographic paper and from there I discovered new ways of printing my images, methods like photosynthesis, liquid emulsion, or image transfers and lifts. As I continue to make work, I will continue to develop new ways of finalizing my images. My latest idea was to actually print on leaves or pieces of bark, so going through all of the old alternative process books has been really fun. I get to discover old ways of printing and than figure out how I can possibly make these processes work for me as I start finishing up images for the final.

Hirsch, Robert, and John Valentino. Photographic Possibilities: the Expressive Use of Ideas, Materials, and Processes. Boston: Focal, 2001. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment