Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chance

When I typed the word "chance" into wikipedia I was offered a few different choices. I decided to check out the word "randomness" in relation to chance.

Random is defined as "Having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction; made, done, occurring, etc., without method or conscious choice; haphazard" (wikipedia.org).

I feel like this is the most important factor in my work. Everything I have been doing relates back to chance. This also relates back to my haiku entry where I discussed the terms ichi-a and ichi-go, roughly meaning never before, never again. When I go out in nature I realize that everything I am seeing is new and I will never be able to see it that way again. In a way, my photographs are a way of preserving these special moments and showing my viewers something that they would have probably never experienced.

"In ancient history, the concepts of chance and randomness were intertwined with that of fate" (wikipedia.org). I feel like a lot of my work is related to this idea as well. All of these different concepts are intertwined with each other and hopefully I am able to communicate those ideas with my images.

Randomness by Deborah J. Bennett. Harvard University Press, 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment