Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Haiku

Recently in my Religions class, we had a guest speaker whose topic for discussion was haiku. Everything he described about this particular form of poetry seemed to fit what I'm trying to do artistically. There were two words he used, ichi-go and ichi-a. Which essentially means, never before and never again. That's the whole point of haiku. To lose oneself in nature and actually appreciate everything that is around you and realizing that whatever you are seeing then has never happened before and it never will again. Every experience is unique. Nothing is ever the same. Ever. The whole point of writing a haiku is to forget your ego just for a minute, to heal yourself. To really appreciate and enjoy what you're surrounded by. Hearing the guest speaker was really inspiring. He told us we should practice writing haiku's everyday. We would be surprised what we could come up with. I think it's a really good idea, something I want to try. I think about the final presentation of my work and I think about possibly incorporating haiku's that I write while I explore and meditate and get lost in nature. I think that would be really interesting to incorporate all of these different aspects because though they are different at their core they are all the same.


  "Haiku can help kids and adults alike to connect to the world of nature and people-to see the interconnectedness of our small world, perhaps even making a step toward peace" (Patricia Donegan).

"Kawahigashi Hekigoto carried Shiki's reform further with two proposals
  1. Haiku would be truer to reality if there were no center of interest in it.
  2. The importance of the poet's first impression, just as it was, of subjects taken from daily life, and of local colour to create freshness"(toyomasu.com).
Vachss, Andrew H. Haiku. New York: Pantheon, 2009. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment