Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Graduate School: MICA

MICA was my second choice for potential graduate schools, mostly because of their diverse masters programs. I am really interested in the M.F.A. in photographic and electronic media as well as the M.F.A. in community art and the multidisciplinary program. What I like about the photography and electronic program is the mixing of all different kinds of photographic and film/video mediums. Students are encouraged to experiment with all different types of media, old and new, and even mix them. They also have state-of-the art equipment and labs for any kind of work you want to do. I am also intrigued by the community art program. I have always been really interested in public art like murals or functional pieces. With the community art program you get to work with kids as well developing art pieces for public view. The multidisciplinary program is a lot like the first program where students don't have a specific track in any of the arts, you just work with the materials and mediums that you want to work with in order to get your work done. Each student is given their own studio and access to all of the studios and equipment. Plus, this school is located in my home state in Baltimore. Baltimore has always been one of my favorite places and is quickly becoming a big force in art as well as music. What really jumped out at me first with MICA was the M.F.A. in Community Arts. I've never really seen that kind of program available at other schools. It is definitely something I would like to pursue in the future.

Craig Kalpakjian (faculty)
He is a faculty member in the Photographic and Electronic Media department. He has exhibited work all over the world, most recently in Paris. He was born in 1961.

Shannon Heaton (student)
She is a grad student in the Photographic and Electronic Media department. This is work from her MFA Thesis Exhibition 2, in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment