Thursday, February 17, 2011

Assimilate

"Cultural assimilation is a socio-political response to demographic multi-ethnicity that supports or promotes the assimilation of ethnic minorities into the dominant culture" (wikipedia.org).

"Every acquisition of accommodation becomes material for assimilation, but assimilation always resists new accommodations" (Jean Piaget).


Kidner, David W. Nature and Psyche: Radical Environmentalism and the Politics of Subjectivity. Albany, NY: State University of New York, 2001. Print.

I recently watched a video piece by Pipilotti Rist, where a female character is walking through nature, swimming, climbing trees. As she is walking, you see her blue tights start to transform into water. That whole idea of becoming part of nature, in that way, is really appealing to me. When I first started this project I played around with ideas of doing self-portraits or incorporating pieces of myself into images of nature. I really just like the idea of layering multiple images. I have a few ideas for when I work in the darkroom. I want to test out ways of layering organic materials into my images in the darkroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment