Monday, February 21, 2011

Pipilotti Rist

Pipilotti Rist was born in Switzerland in 1962. She primarily works as a video artist. She currently lives and works in Los Angeles and Zurich. She studied at the University of Applied Arts in Vienna. Her work was first featured at the Venice Biennial in 1997. While in school, Rist began making Super-8 films which contained alterations of color, speed, and sound. Her work generally speaks about gender, sexuality, and the human body. She is considered a feminist to some.

"Like all of Ms. Rist's work, this new show has to be taken on its own very particular terms. She is, somewhat unfashionably in a jaded time and a jaded art world, one of life's instinctive celebrants. She loves the natural world as much as she enjoys punching its colors well into the realms of psychedelia" (Robert Ayers, observer.com).

"There's a sexual undertow in the work of Zurich artist Pipilotti Rist that's been there since the very beginning of her now-superstar career.Sexuality, delight and mystery have always been part of her work's allure" (Robert Ayers, observer.com).

I chose to research Pipilotti Rist this week after seeing her piece at the Anderson Gallery. I was blown away by what I saw. Her piece combined moving imagery as well as sound and she created a special environment just for watching her piece. This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to do and what I still want to do. I thought her sound design was perfect for what I was viewing. Immediately upon laying down on the carpet I got caught up in what I was watching and hearing; I felt myself getting lost in it. It was a really incredible feeling, truly inspiring and what I needed to see at a time when I' feel like I've been lacking inspiration.





http://www.contemporary-magazines.com/interview92.htm

http://www.luhringaugustine.com/

http://www.pipilottirist.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment