Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Reality

Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or may be thought to be.[1] In its widest definition, reality includes everything that is and has being, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible
          -Wikipedia.org

"Only conscious experience in the Now is real. Conscious experience in the Now is supposed to be known directly or intuitively, it can not be explained. I think it constitutes the basis of all ontology. Consciousness is conceived as the total of conscious experience in the Now..." (Axel Randrup).


"Because today we live in a society in which spurious realities are manufactured by the media, by governments, by big corporations, by religious groups, political groups—and the electronic hardware exists by which to deliver these pseudo-worlds right into the heads of the reader, the viewer, the listener" (Phillip K. Dick).


Bradley, F. H. Essays on Truth and Reality,. Oxford: Clarendon, 1914. Print.


Lately I've been thinking about the idea of reality and how much of it is constructed by humans. We are surrounded by millions of images every day, which shape how we think about things and places. Once you see something, that image is ingrained in your memory. It shapes what you think about a certain place. The photographer has a part in that. As a photographer, I construct scenes the way I want to see them. I like to work in a documentary style, capturing everything the way I see it and not moving things around. But still I can't capture everything, something is going to be left out and the way I frame the subject will hide certain things or leave other things out in the open. At the end of all this, I can try my best but there is no real way to capture reality or these environments that I put myself in. 





No comments:

Post a Comment