Saturday, March 12, 2011

Confusion

Side note: Sorry for posting this so late Lauren!

"Almost all the ideas we have about being a man or being a woman are so burdened with pain, anxiety, fear and self-doubt. For many of us, the confusion around this question is excruciating" (Andrew Cohen).



"As one gets older one sees many more paths that could be taken. Artists sense within their own work that kind of swelling of possibilities, which may seem a freedom or a confusion" (Jasper Johns).


Camp, Joseph L. Confusion: a Study in the Theory of Knowledge. Cambridge, MA: Harvard UP, 2002. Print.


This post is in response to my mid-term critique. After the critique I felt more confused than I ever have concerning this work. I'm not really sure what to think anymore, whether or not the same things are still important to me. Meditation, which I used to rely heavily on, isn't as big of a part of this work anymore. When I photograph different environments I take time to acclimate to my surroundings but I'm not actively mediating anymore. I guess being in the environment and just shooting photographs is a way of meditating for me now. It gives me a chance to really look at my surroundings and concentrate on the things that are most important to capture. In a way this post is a tool for me to figure things out, to rationalize things and bring things up to myself that I hadn't really considered. My plan for now is to keep on shooting and keep experimenting. After seeing the Kathy Rose lecture, I'm really focused on trying to let my subconscious take over and figure things out when I'm done.



No comments:

Post a Comment