Sunday, March 20, 2011

Meg Birnbaum

Meg Birnbaum currently lives in the Boston area. She works as a graphic designer and photographer. She first started using the Holga in 2006 and has continued to use it as her primary camera ever since. Birnbaum attended a year long Photography Atelier at Radcliffe Institute of Advanced Study. She has had solo shows in Japan and New York and group shows in the U.S. and China. Some of her favorite artists are Francesca Woodman and Frantisek Drtikol.

"From her botanical photos to her scenes from county fairs to her almost fantastical world in the "Fly by Night" portfolio, Meg's work stimulates our imagination and our memories of events both lived and only dreamed of..." (Paul Giguere)


Birnbaum "creates otherworldly B&W images of everything and everyone, often shooting with a plastic camera to create atmospheric stills" (dailycandy.com).


I chose Megan Birnbaum as this weeks artist because of her exclusive use of plastic cameras. I really like her imagery, especially her series Corn Dogs and Blue Ribbons. That series was shot at state fairs. I love her images because of their nostalgic, old time feeling. That's part of the reason I shoot with the Diana, because I love that nostalgic feeling I get when looking at my photos. I think it lends a hand when I talk about places where people have been that have been abandoned and left to rot. When I look at Birnbaum's work, I think of memories of times past. I feel almost wistful when I look at her work. That's the kind of feeling I would like to elicit with my work. I think I'm getting there, especially with my images from out West. 




http://www.thoughtsonphotography.com/to_p_0041_interview_with_meg_birnbaum


http://davisortongallery.com/

http://www.megbirnbaumphotography.com/index.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment