Sunday, March 27, 2011

Stacey Evans

Stacey Evans is somewhat of a local artist. She studied in the Art Foundation Program at VCU and received her B.F.A. in Photography from Savannah College of Art and Design in 1995. She works as a professional photographer; working with small businesses, publications, and educational establishments. She teaches at the University of Virginia Art Museum, Piedmont Virginia Community College, and St. Anne's Belfield Middle School.

"TRAINSCAPES is a photographic exploration of the American life and landscape from the vantage point of an Amtrak passenger. The photographs observe history, capture the present and suggest future possibilities. They exhibit the atmosphere of varying days, structures found in the built environment and patterns of nature" (Stacey Evans).


"At a specific moment my goal is to frame bits and pieces of the world passing in a fraction of a second. My photographs express how our land is developed through the power of human interest and force of nature. As an artist I search for the unspoken story" (Stacey Evans).


This photographer was actually recommended to me, I had never heard of her or her work. Looking through the work on her website, I was fascinated by her Trainscapes series. Each photograph was taken from a moving train. I have always liked photography because of its ability to freeze time. Creating a whole body of work from a moving train is really appealing to me. I really liked her quotes, listed above. Her ideas kind of tie into things I have also been thinking about with my own work. She talks about her work "expresses how our land is developed through the power of human interest and force of nature." That relates to my work and trying to capture places that were once used by people and then abandoned. My work is based on travel and going through places, always being on the go. Evans's work is definitely inspiring to me as I continue working on my own series. 


Stacey Evans, Smoke Stack, 2007

Stacey Evans, Lofts, 2007

Stacey Evans, Tanks, 2007

Stacey Evans, Mississippi River, 2007



Side note: Evans is not backed by a gallery; however, she has had numerous shows all across VA and some in GA.




No comments:

Post a Comment